Monday, May 14, 2012

Agressive News got some sex? got an desire ?


Dear Terry,

                   I think you know by now what my position is when it comes to a question of the Church's authority or respecting my conscience.  I prefer to address your question about sex in the context of what I teach my children.

I explain that sex is an expression of love between 2 people. 
 Ideally, this is done in a committed relationship.  A committed relationship is defined as one where 2 people have expressed great love for each other and are trying to build something long-lasting.  I do have a hierarchy to the act of sex.  The ideal situation is the committed relationship.  Casual or promiscuous sex is not healthy. 
 It cheapens the act itself and can be detrimental to a person's self-esteem.  It disconnects sex from its purpose, to express love.  
Heterosexual children are informed that birth control can be faulty and conception can result and there are consequences that follow.  Science has helped the Church and myself in teaching that a human life is created at conception.  Though I do not see abortion in an absolute sense (nothing exists as an absolute), I teach that ending a pregnancy is tantamount to murder.  Marriage is not a foregone conclusion to the birth of a child. 
 Marriage is for 2 people who love each other. 
 No love, no marriage.  A single parent is preferred to a marriage that is forced.  The same rules apply for my gay son.  Sex in a committed relationship is ideal....  All children are informed that disease is transmitted by exchange of fluids and that care should be considered in this area as well.  Sex is an adult activity.  It is not permissible in my home.

My 19 year old daughter has a steady boyfriend.  Invariably she stays the night at his home.  My wife and I have expressed our concerns to our daughter, however, that does not mean she is going to be compelled to follow what I believe.  If something does occur we will support her at that time.

I know that traditionally speaking sex is allowed within the confines of marriage. 
 I'm sorry, I don't believe that these values are practical in our day and age.  
The idea that people have sex in order to have children, I find rather comical, if not absurd.  
We aren't running farms or populating villages for protection anymore. 
 Perhaps we have 2 children, but sex is had because it is pleasurable and expressive of our love for another person.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment